As the gas line infrastructure is nearing completion it is time for those considering moving to natural gas to review these steps in preparation of converting soon.
Once you decide to install natural gas, converting your home involves seven simple steps:
Converting to Natural Gas
- A local PSNC Energy representative will complete the paperwork necessary to generate your order.
- A PSNC Energy crew will install the service line from the street to your home. Digging is required, but PSNC Energy will re-seed the dig site and replace landscaping if necessary.
- Once the service line is extended to the home a contractor (mechanical/plumber) of your choice will need to file for a permit and then convert/replace your appliances*. They may also need to extend the inside gas piping to the location of where your gas meter will eventually be set.
- Once the appliances have been converted and any necessary piping completed the contractor will call to schedule to have their work inspected by your local city/county inspections department.
- Once the inspection occurs and is approved, contact PSNC ENERGY at 1-877-584-7762 (Mon-Fri 8-5) to set up your gas account and to schedule an appointment to have your natural gas meter set and activated. Please note that we strive to have the gas meter set and activated the same day the inspection is approved however depending on the time of day that the inspection occurs it could be the following day before the meter set can be completed.
- Once the meter is set and activated, your contractor will need to return to your home (usually the same day) to start your appliances and check them for safe and proper operation.
- Now it’s time to sit back and rely on PSNC ENERGY to bring the comfort and convenience of clean, reliable natural gas service and energy-efficient appliances to your home.
*Most propane appliances including furnaces, stoves, grills and dryers can be converted to operate on natural gas. Most propane water heaters cannot be converted. A contractor of your choice can assist you in converting your appliances to operate on natural gas. Please have your contractor verify that your equipment can be converted otherwise it may need replacing. You can also contact PSNC Energy for this service at a cost. We can also provide financing for HVAC replacement through our authorized HVAC contractors.
*PSNC Energy appliance sales, installation, maintenance, and repair are not a part of the regulated services offered by PSNC Energy and are not in any way sanctioned by the North Carolina Utilities Commission. There is no advantage to customers of PSNC Energy if they buy these products or services from PSNC Energy. A customer does not have to buy such products or services in order to continue to receive the same safe and reliable natural gas service from PSNC Energy.
Many have asked about mechanical contractors to do the conversion. It is a good idea to contact them in advance in case parts for conversion of a tankless water heater, furnace or fireplace is needed, they can get them on order in coming weeks for a smooth conversion. (I found our furnace orifices inside the door of the furnace left from the installer.)
Here are a few companies to contact:
TriSouth Mechanical, Jeremy Hundley 919-435-2728
Casey’s Services, 919-556-3338
Alford Mechanical, 919-246-5265
Mechanical HVAC 919-912-5350
I am sure there are others and we are offering these names as they have done work in the community.