Covenants Refresher

With new neighbors/residents moving into the community, we are taking the time to provide updates on one of the most active and often complained about covenant addressing commercial signage on vehicles.  Our attorney recently provided their interpretation of Section 4, advertising/logos on vehicles.  

Section 4, which states that “any vehicle which has advertising of any type, whether a display, a name or logo painting on the vehicle, as an attached sign, or otherwise, must be parked in the garage, in the rear of the residence or behind a screen so that such vehicle cannot be seen from the street”. 

The recommendation is to:

  1. Park vehicles with sign displays, logos, etc. in your garage or
  2.  Screen the vehicle so that such vehicle cannot be seen from the street.  

The ARB form is available to download from the Rivers Edge HOA home page.

 

Based upon these provisions, our attorney has advised that  any homeowner with a commercial vehicle not parked in the garage, needs to submit an ARC request to properly comply with this provision. 

 

HOA Management Company

Being proactive, we are going to start the process of interviewing and getting proposals to turn over the management of the HOA to a 3rd party provider who specializes in community management.  I can recall conversations a few years ago and with the lack of interest to source a treasurer and little interest thus far in volunteers who are willing to serve as board members, we feel it is the right thing to at least entertain proposals from companies who would take over the day to day management of the pool, grounds, real estate transfers, treasury, restrictive covenants and architectural requests.  We will have proposals for our meeting in November that will allow residents to review and comment on prior to making any formal decisions.  

Sincerely,

Ron Phillips

Board Vacancies

We are coming up on our annual meeting in November and there will be 3 board vacancies.  The terms of Gary Falkinowski, Richard Steinhoff and Ron Phillips were extended (through by-law amendment) for one additional year.  Assuming there will be at least 3 persons with a desire to serve the community, the board members then vote for someone to fill the role of President, VP and Secretary.  My term has not been that difficult and I don’t take anything personally.  Over the past few years the board tackled things like:

  1. Broken pipes in the clubhouse and internal repairs from the leak.
  2. Salt water pool conversion.
  3. Painting of the swimming pool surface.
  4. New clubhouse roof.
  5. New clubhouse/pool access system.
  6. Repaving of our roads. (separate road fund for future resealing every few years)
  7. Working with Dominion Energy to get natural gas throughout Rivers Edge.
  8. Installation of speed tables to help on Oak Grove Church Road.
  9. Great volunteers to lead the Pool and Social Committees providing activities for all ages.
  10. Stabilized annual dues.
  11. Work with neighbors with covenant violations to maintain the integrity of our documents and community.

I’m sure there are other things to address and take care of going forward to keep Rivers Edge a vibrant little neighborhood that is recognized throughout. It appears home values have increased over the past couple of years and there has been a great influx of new families.  If there are specific questions on the role of a board member, feel free to reach out to us and hopeful others will have that “community spirit” to serve and lead our HOA.  

 

Sincerely, 

Ron Phillips

Treasurer Needed

We are looking for a person to volunteer and fill the role of Treasurer for our HOA.  Emily Paulson has done a great job over the years.  The role of the Treasurer are: 

  • Print/mail annual homeowners dues.
  • Pay vendors- electric, insurance, internet, groundskeeper, pool company. (most are on line)
  • Make deposits at out bank.
  • Maintain checking and road fund accounts.
  • Check mail at Youngsville post office weekly.
  • Work with HOA board to create and maintain annual budget.
  • Communicate with closing attorneys when homes are sold to inform them of any outstanding balances.  
  • Keep resident mailing list up to date for mailings.
  • Get forms ready for non profit tax filing.

If anyone has an interest, please give me a call to discuss.  A laptop is provided for HOA business.  

Thanks, 

Ron Phillips

919-356-3524

Community Update

It has been a few months of silence during the winter months.  We have not been idle however.  I think the last update was the minutes from our November annual meeting.  Over the last few months, the roof was replaced on the clubhouse.  The shingles were part of the Certainteed claim for defective shingles so our responsibility was the $1,000 deductible from our insurance policy.  

  • Dues collection has been good, but we still have a few homeowners who have not paid.  Hopefully, this note will remind them that dues are due now.
  • We are replacing the gate and clubhouse access at the pool.  In coming weeks, a new system will be installed that will include:
    • Improved pool gate access entering and exiting.
    • Electronic access to the clubhouse.  For years, many have know the code to gain access, so going forward it will have improved controls.
    • Door closer to meet Franklin County Pool Codes on the door leading from the clubhouse out to the pool.
    • Timed locks on both restrooms that keep the restrooms locked when the pool is closed.
    • New access cards will be issued to all residents who are current on their dues.  
  • We will have to wait on a pool opening (if we can even open the pool) due Covid-19 and restrictions to protect our safety.
  • As for the front, I admit it looks horrible.  I’m reaching out to our groundskeeper to start cleaning up the beds and getting them ready for spring planting.  We have small group of volunteers ready to help with a redesign and will press forward on this, while maintaining compliance for social distancing.  
  • We have new residents, Tommy and Amy Ellis 145 River Club Way and Adam Acuff, 185 River Club Way.  Please welcome them from a distance.  
  • Tracy Rabon and the Social Committee continues to push forward on activities and events for all.  Things have been put on hold until it is safe to congregate again.  

A few reminders on Architectural Control/Neighborhood Covenants.

  • Cars/trucks are to be parked in your driveway.  Your lawn is not your driveway, nor is the street in front of your home.
  • Trailers (camping/boats) are not allowed.  Utility trailers that are used to go to the garden store are, but they need to be out of plain site.  (There are several out there that need to be hidden better.)
  • Trash cans should be hidden.
  • Mailboxes need to comply with community standards, the posts are to be painted white.
  • Any landscaping plans for the front of your home should be submitted to the ARB for approval.  (This includes tree removal requests.)
  • Cleaning up after your pets on walks is always appreciated.

It has been great seeing the weather change and so many neighbors outside in recent weeks, probably more so with the work from home and postponement of the school year.  Keep an eye out for walkers and bikers, and if you are out after dark, use a light or reflective clothing.  

We did spend $1,000 to have the pavement that had ripped near the entrance cut out and patched along with sealing of a few areas.  This was paid for from the dedicated road fund.  

We are always open to suggestions and volunteers.

Sincerely, 

Ron Phillips

2019 Annual HOA Meeting Minutes

The Annual Meeting of the Rives Edge Homeowner’s Association was held at 6:30 P.M. on November 10, 2019 in the Rivers Edge Clubhouse. The following Board Members were present: Ron Phillips, President; Richard Steinhoff, Vice President; and Gary Faltinowski, Secretary.

A total of fourteen (14) properties were represented by owners; thereby, meeting the required quorum of 10% of Association membership (100 voting households) in accordance with HOA By-Laws.

Agenda
1. Call to order
  The meeting was called to order by Ron Phillips, who introduced the other board members and Treasurer, Emily Paulson. New residents, Aaron and Elizabeth Rowlands, were identified.

2. Reading of minutes
  Minutes from the HOA General meeting, held on May 5, 2019, were read. A motion was made to accept the minutes, seconded and passed by unanimous vote.

3. Nomination and election of board members (3) openings:

  As announced at the General meeting in May, and the notification for the 2019 Annual meeting, published on Oct 3, 2019, the current board members terms would expire at year’s end. Two of the positions have served three consecutive years, and in accordance with the By-Laws, cannot serve beyond that period and nominations/volunteers were needed to fill positions.

  The floor was opened for nominations and or volunteers for consideration. No nominations were presented nor volunteers identified.

  With no nomination coming forth the point was raised that if we cannot get residents to become members of the HOA Board we may find ourselves forced to hire a Management Company, which would result in an increase in Association dues.

  It was asked if the By-Laws could be amended. In accordance with Article VI of the current By-Laws: “These By-Laws may be amended by a simple majority vote of those present and voting at a regular or special meeting of the Association as long as a quorum is present.”

  Additional discussion followed regarding what would be an appropriate increase in the total consecutive period for board members to serve and would the current board member be will willing to serve another year; thereby providing a temporary resolution.

 A motion was made by Jean Marteski to amend Article III, Paragraph 2, last sentence to read, “Members of the Board shall be eligible for reelection up to a maximum of five (5) consecutive terms.” Motion was seconded by George Heydner and passed by unanimous vote.

  A motion was made by Nancy Faltinowski to nominate and reelect the current three members of the HOA Board of Directors for the 2020 term, Motion was seconded by Ken Pike and passed by a 13-1 vote.

  As it was noted this is only a temporary resolution. If residents are not willing to participate in the HOA meetings and serve on the Board of Directors, Rivers Edge may be forced to engage a management company to handle the business of the HOA. The Board will begin researching cost associated with those agencies.

4. Committee reports

  a. Clubhouse: As with many of the homes throughout the development an assessment of the clubhouse roof condition revealed many broken shingles. A claim was made to insurer (Nationwide), was approved, and a contract has been signed with Covenant Roofing to replace the roof shingles.

  b. Paving/Road: Jodi Blackburn met with Rian, of Rian Paving, to discuss addressing any issues with the previous paving project of the development streets, specifically cracks that have been identified. Rian Paving will also submit a quote for repairing the area near the front entrance where the (older) asphalt has been damaged.

  c. Social Committee: Tracy Rabon discussed the upcoming social events and the future distribution of a newsletter to households.

    1) Thanksgiving Feast Saturday 11/16 at the Clubhouse 5:00- 6:30. We will provide ham, turkey and nonalcoholic drinks. Bring a side dish or dessert to share.

    2) Weather permitting- Sunday 12/1 at 11:00. We will be decorating the front entrance and clubhouse. If you would like to help please meet at the clubhouse at 11:00. We will need ladders at the clubhouse to put up lights.

    3) There will be a Christmas Yard Decorating contest this year. Start getting ideas and planning. More information to come.

5. Budget Review

  a. The 2019 expenditures to date and the 2019 budgeted amounts were presented, unbudgeted costs to date include.

    1) Costs for repainting pool, repairing pool lights, adding a GFI outlet, and replacement of pool furniture.

    2) Speed Tables installation

    3) Nationwide insurance deductible of $1,000 for roofing

  b. The draft 2020 budget was presented for review. The Board and Treasurer will meet, prior to January 1st, to review the budget on a line item basis before finalizing.

6. Emily Paulson, HOA Treasure, will be stepping down from her duties as Treasurer, she has served in this position for the past three (3) years, and prior to that served as the Social Committee Chair.

  a. The floor was opened for volunteer to become the HOA Treasurer.

    1) With no one coming forward a solicitation will be made to the Association at large.

      • In accordance with Article III, Section 5, of the current By-Laws, if the Board is unable to obtain the services of a qualified person to serve as Treasurer, they may pay an individual, not a member of the Association, to perform such required duties.

7. A call for additional discussions and new business was made. With no additional discussion or new news being presented, a motion to adjourn the meeting was made by David Williams, seconded by Richard Stienhoff, and carried by unanimous vote.

HOA Meeting Update

Gary F will submit the minutes from our annual HOA meeting last night.  Until these are posted, a few comments:

  • Out of 100 homes, we had representation of 14 homes (10 required for a quorum.
  • There were no new nominations from anyone to serve one year terms on the Board.  Per our bylaws, a motion was presented to extend the number of consecutive years a board member can serve from 3 to 5 years, thus allowing the current board to serve the upcoming year.  
  • With a lack of community participation, we will soon (within a year) be in a position to solicit proposals from HOA management companies to take over day to day functions such as accounting, ARB reviews, working with closing attorneys when homes are sold, pool management, etc.  This will undoubtedly lead to significant increases in HOA dues in the next couple of years.
  • The current board will meet within the next week to establish our budget for 2020.  We will stay with only one invoice and payment of dues as we will be without a treasurer early next year.  It is easier and cheaper (postage) to put out one invoice and when the dues were reduced from $640 back to $500 annually, we thought this was more manageable amount for most.  

Sincerely,

 

Ron Phillips

We Need a Treasurer-from Emily Paulson

Hi Neighbors!

I need your help.  I’ve been serving as Treasurer for the past three years and before that I was Social Chair.  Although it’s been a pleasure serving in both of those roles, I need a break.  At last night’s HOA meeting there were no volunteers for either the three board positions or the treasurer’s job.  Your three current board members graciously agreed to serve another year and possibly two.  Ron, Richard, and Gary have been doing a wonderful job, but also recognize the need to have some rotation going on within the board.  There is also the concern that if the current lack of interest in serving in these roles continues, then we will have to look into a management company which in my experience at another neighborhood is impersonal and expensive.  One of the main reasons why I originally agreed to be treasurer was to avoid having to use a management company.

Being the treasurer is truly not a horrible job.  The job is busiest at the beginning of the year with the annual dues and after that, it requires a few hours a month.  In order to help the next treasurer out, I’m willing to serve through January and then hand off on February 1st.  If you have any questions about the job, please let me know.  I might even be interested in taking the job back in a few years, but next year I need to make some time to focus on some areas in my own life.  I need to hand the treasurer job off so it gets the attention it deserves.

Thanks!

Emily Paulson

eapaulson@gmail.com

Upcoming Social Events

Upcoming Social Committee activities:

1.     Thanksgiving Feast Saturday 11/16 at the Clubhouse 5:00- 6:30 ish.    We will provide ham, turkey and non alcoholic drinks.   Bring a side dish or dessert to share.  

2.  Weather permitting- Sunday 12/1 at 11:00.  We will be decorating the front entrance and clubhouse.   If you would like to help please meet at the clubhouse at 11:00.   We will need ladders at the clubhouse to put up lights.  

3.   There will be a Christmas Yard Decorating contest this year.   Start getting ideas and planning.  😀  More information to come.  

Thank you! 

The Social Committee 

Upcoming Social Events

Upcoming Social Committee Events
 
1.   Halloween
 
The Social Committee invites you to join us for our first Trick-or-Treat kick-off celebration on Halloween night.  
 
Location: Clubhouse 
Time: Halloween night at 5:30 sharp
 
Come dressed in your favorite cute, scary, creative or hilarious costumes because there will be a costume contest by age groups.  A light dinner of “Taco in a Bag” will be provided so don’t worry about feeding the kids just come enjoy the Halloween fun.  The event begins at 5:30 and trick or treating will follow immediately after.  Go grab your costume and we will see you on Halloween.  
 
2.   Trivia Night at White Street Brewery 11/6/19
 
Everyone is invited to join us for Trivia Night at White Street Brewery on Wednesday November 6th. Trivia is from 8:00-9:00 so plan to arrive anytime after 7:00.   It’s group trivia with one answer per team so everyone works together.  I will have a “Rivers Edge” sign at our table so you can find us if you are a new neighbor.   
 
3.   Thanksgiving Feast
 
Location: Clubhouse 
Time: Saturday 11/16/19 at 5:00 pm
 
Please join us for a Thanksgiving Feast filled with friendship, laughter and good food.   We will provide the ham, turkey and drinks.  Please bring your favorite Thanksgiving side dish or dessert to share.  
 
4.   Kickball
 
A date for a neighborhood kickball game will be coming soon.  We are waiting on field approval.  
Hope to see everyone out in the neighborhood soon! 
 
Tracy Rabon and the fabulous 
Social Committee Team
 
 
Skip to toolbar